Flor Carpet Tiles


My big weekend accomplishment was a little entry hallway redo/touch up/enhancement. We got Flor carpet tiles for the entry a few weeks ago. It should have been an easy process but like every single project in this house it turned into a bigger job. Let me first explain that I loathe the moulding in this house.  Yes! Can you believe moulding in a Mid Century Modern? Who puts curvy traditional looking moulding in a modern house?  Anyway, with that said let me continue. 


My first thought was to have the carpet tiles go right up to the wall on the left.  Problem was the floor board on that wall only ran half way down. A floor board was in the way so what do you think I did?  Yes, I pulled it off! It felt so good but that one board prompted more moulding to come out.  I pulled the panels that framed the closet and bathroom doors.  I also started to pull off the stuff that frames the entry door but quickly realized it was mistake. 15 minutes after starting the carpet tile project I found myself with a bigger project at hand. I was going to have to patch, sand and paint before I could lay the Flor tiles down.  I was also going to have to come up with an explanation to give Dave before he came home.
 

That was two weeks ago. Fortunately, Dave is a patient man with my insanity.  After looking at my initial layout I decided it was best to give the tiles some negative space on both sides.  The moulding didn't actually have to come out. Now that it's all said and done I'm glad I did it.  The entry way looks cleaner, simpler, more Mid Century.  I can breathe.

This weekend I fixed not just what I destroyed but I also repainted a few walls and doors in the house.  The entire entry hallway got a fresh coat of paint as did the other hallway and another prominent wall in the house.  The closet doors in the entry way had never been painted so I gave them a couple coats. And the baseboards had never been painted either so they got a much needed coat of paint.  

I have a theory that after three years a house starts to need upkeep, specially if you have kids.  Even though I do touch ups on our white walls every 3-4 months both hallways were in need of a paint job.  P's room needs to be repainted very soon. It has scuff marks in the areas where she most plays.  Our bedroom could use a couple runs of the roller.  Our guest bathroom needs a paint job DESPERATELY, but that's another story and of course another project!



Oh, I almost forgot! I put up three orange hooks next to our mirror.  I love our small and simple hooks under the mirror. They're perfect for hats, scarfs and P's coats but they aren't very useful for hanging large adult coats.  I found these hooks on this site and love their multi-functionality. You can hang coats and/or place mail on them. 

Labels: ,

kriselkeeper: Flor Carpet Tiles

Monday, March 28, 2011

Flor Carpet Tiles


My big weekend accomplishment was a little entry hallway redo/touch up/enhancement. We got Flor carpet tiles for the entry a few weeks ago. It should have been an easy process but like every single project in this house it turned into a bigger job. Let me first explain that I loathe the moulding in this house.  Yes! Can you believe moulding in a Mid Century Modern? Who puts curvy traditional looking moulding in a modern house?  Anyway, with that said let me continue. 


My first thought was to have the carpet tiles go right up to the wall on the left.  Problem was the floor board on that wall only ran half way down. A floor board was in the way so what do you think I did?  Yes, I pulled it off! It felt so good but that one board prompted more moulding to come out.  I pulled the panels that framed the closet and bathroom doors.  I also started to pull off the stuff that frames the entry door but quickly realized it was mistake. 15 minutes after starting the carpet tile project I found myself with a bigger project at hand. I was going to have to patch, sand and paint before I could lay the Flor tiles down.  I was also going to have to come up with an explanation to give Dave before he came home.
 

That was two weeks ago. Fortunately, Dave is a patient man with my insanity.  After looking at my initial layout I decided it was best to give the tiles some negative space on both sides.  The moulding didn't actually have to come out. Now that it's all said and done I'm glad I did it.  The entry way looks cleaner, simpler, more Mid Century.  I can breathe.

This weekend I fixed not just what I destroyed but I also repainted a few walls and doors in the house.  The entire entry hallway got a fresh coat of paint as did the other hallway and another prominent wall in the house.  The closet doors in the entry way had never been painted so I gave them a couple coats. And the baseboards had never been painted either so they got a much needed coat of paint.  

I have a theory that after three years a house starts to need upkeep, specially if you have kids.  Even though I do touch ups on our white walls every 3-4 months both hallways were in need of a paint job.  P's room needs to be repainted very soon. It has scuff marks in the areas where she most plays.  Our bedroom could use a couple runs of the roller.  Our guest bathroom needs a paint job DESPERATELY, but that's another story and of course another project!



Oh, I almost forgot! I put up three orange hooks next to our mirror.  I love our small and simple hooks under the mirror. They're perfect for hats, scarfs and P's coats but they aren't very useful for hanging large adult coats.  I found these hooks on this site and love their multi-functionality. You can hang coats and/or place mail on them. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home