A little Closer


This weekend we made good progress finally. Two weekends ago I primed everything except the three main beams with rot and last weekend was Halloween.  So, not much has been accomplished lately.


Friday I went to West Marine in Marina del Rey to get marine grade resin epoxy.  The salesman was amazing in helping me understand a product I've never used before and requires three parts to make it work.  As he was explaining  I was holding a squirmy,  almost-two-year old the whole time so imagine my focus.  



Saturday and part of Sunday hubby finished pulling out the rotted moulding and replacing it with a fresh piece of wood.  He also sanded and prepped the second set of window moulding so all I have to do is prime and paint.  


Today I bit the bullet.  The process of rebuilding the beams is freaking me out.  I'm worried about making a gooey mess and having to cut the end off and replace it with and end cap.  I've been told it's not the best method for extending the beams.  



I started with the beam with the least amount of damage so I could get a feel for working with the product.  It turned out ok.  I feel I need to add more in some parts but overall I think it'll look great once I sand and paint. Right now it looks like white snot.  




Next time I will work with smaller quantities of epoxy.  The stuff placed on the beams took time to solidify but what was left in the plastic cup hardened pretty fast.  I will also make the epoxy thicker so I can work with it easier as I have to fill in huge gaps.  


Today I tackled what is the scariest part of this project to me.  I feel good. One more weekend and we should be finished!  

Labels: ,

kriselkeeper: A little Closer

Monday, November 9, 2009

A little Closer


This weekend we made good progress finally. Two weekends ago I primed everything except the three main beams with rot and last weekend was Halloween.  So, not much has been accomplished lately.


Friday I went to West Marine in Marina del Rey to get marine grade resin epoxy.  The salesman was amazing in helping me understand a product I've never used before and requires three parts to make it work.  As he was explaining  I was holding a squirmy,  almost-two-year old the whole time so imagine my focus.  



Saturday and part of Sunday hubby finished pulling out the rotted moulding and replacing it with a fresh piece of wood.  He also sanded and prepped the second set of window moulding so all I have to do is prime and paint.  


Today I bit the bullet.  The process of rebuilding the beams is freaking me out.  I'm worried about making a gooey mess and having to cut the end off and replace it with and end cap.  I've been told it's not the best method for extending the beams.  



I started with the beam with the least amount of damage so I could get a feel for working with the product.  It turned out ok.  I feel I need to add more in some parts but overall I think it'll look great once I sand and paint. Right now it looks like white snot.  




Next time I will work with smaller quantities of epoxy.  The stuff placed on the beams took time to solidify but what was left in the plastic cup hardened pretty fast.  I will also make the epoxy thicker so I can work with it easier as I have to fill in huge gaps.  


Today I tackled what is the scariest part of this project to me.  I feel good. One more weekend and we should be finished!  

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home