DIY Succulent Wreath


Once upon a time I was drooling over this wreath. Today I finished my own DIY succulent wreath! Major accomplishment!  P and I made two over Christmas and we gave them to her teacher and principal.  I had a third one set aside for us but I didn't quite finish it. I must admit my hands were in pain. Getting the plants in the compacted moss was rather hard.  But today I was fine.  It must have been the cold water.  The moss gets soaked for a while before it takes the shape of a wreath. The cold water must have been the real problem. I followed these instructions.  The were simple and easy to follow. 

When we stained the fence this week we moved the pots. A few of our succulents lost a stem or two.  The fresh cuttings prompted me to finish the wreath, and more important, to hang it up.  That took some deep thinking.  The wreath needs to be in the shade because it tends to dry out pretty quickly in our arid Southern California climate. The high winds this season dried the wreaths out even further.  I preferred to hang it on one of our grey walls in case it stains the wall but this spot seemed to suit it's scale the best.  I like it with the butterfly chair, the pots and the new door. This was a great DIY project.  A succulent wreath retails for $150-200. Because we have so many succulents throughout our garden I was able to make this one for $15. I'm feeling like the cat's meow!


Labels: ,

kriselkeeper: DIY Succulent Wreath

Friday, February 28, 2014

DIY Succulent Wreath


Once upon a time I was drooling over this wreath. Today I finished my own DIY succulent wreath! Major accomplishment!  P and I made two over Christmas and we gave them to her teacher and principal.  I had a third one set aside for us but I didn't quite finish it. I must admit my hands were in pain. Getting the plants in the compacted moss was rather hard.  But today I was fine.  It must have been the cold water.  The moss gets soaked for a while before it takes the shape of a wreath. The cold water must have been the real problem. I followed these instructions.  The were simple and easy to follow. 

When we stained the fence this week we moved the pots. A few of our succulents lost a stem or two.  The fresh cuttings prompted me to finish the wreath, and more important, to hang it up.  That took some deep thinking.  The wreath needs to be in the shade because it tends to dry out pretty quickly in our arid Southern California climate. The high winds this season dried the wreaths out even further.  I preferred to hang it on one of our grey walls in case it stains the wall but this spot seemed to suit it's scale the best.  I like it with the butterfly chair, the pots and the new door. This was a great DIY project.  A succulent wreath retails for $150-200. Because we have so many succulents throughout our garden I was able to make this one for $15. I'm feeling like the cat's meow!


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home